“I called him at around 1.20am and his phone rang for long before he picked,he told me he would be home shortly but by 2.00 a.m he had not arrived. His phone was now ringing but he was not picking…

Irene Nanjala Baraza said she had been married to the late Christopher Muganda Adagi who police say was shot dead  by a man he shared a girlfriend with at Garden Estate in Kasarani,Nairobi.

The suspect, Leonard Kanari, a property developer then 35 years-old, denies shooting Adagi after he reportedly found him with ‘his’ girlfriend, Eddah Kamau, in  her house in the wee hours of May 26 2016.

Nanjala, and the Kamau both worked at  Barclays Bank of Kenya head office in Nairobi.

“I very well recall on Thursday May 26 2016  I was dropped by my husband at my place of work at around 9.00am,” the widow told a hushed court as Kanari, on trial for murder, followed proceedings pensively.

Coming home late

She said her husband then drove off to his place of work at Transmission Collection African Westlands, Nairobi.

Nanjala recalls that she worked well up to the time she returned him in Lang’ata, Nairobi, when “my husband called and said he would be coming home late around 9.00pm or 10.00pm because he was in a meeting.”

“At around 11.00pm I called but he did not answer my call so I texted him asking whether he was still out…” she said.

She said her husband later called back on May 27, 2016, at around 1.43am telling her he was coming.”At around 2.19am he had not yet arrived but checking on Whatsapp he was online,” the widow said.

No reply

She said she called and even text messaged him in vain.

“There was no reply…” she said.

Nanjala said she called her mother-in- law who reassured her that”Chris” would be back and told her to report to work.

Then she received a call from one of her late husband’s contractors Aggrey, who told him that things were not good. He told her he had been informed that her husband had been shot.

Scanty information

She said she called him to tell me the source of information and he texted me a number which I called and only got scanty information.

“The man said he was the caretaker of the place…he told me to go to Kasarani police station…” she said.

At the station, she said, a police officer accompanied her the Neema Hospital morgue where “I found my husband dead, he had been shot on the left side of the stomach….”

The hearing continues on September, 14, 2017.

The suspect is on bond.