Two suspects who had been held in connection with the foul murder of IEBC ICT boss Chris Msando have been released from custody without charge, a trial court in Nairobi was told. Watch the video below.

“They are not interested in holding the suspect any longer…an order for holding the suspect which was issued in a Kiambu court and extended by this court is hereby discharged,” justice James Wakiaga ruled in reference to Andrew Kiprotich Rono, 60, an accountant at KenGen, Parklands, Nairobi, whose phone was allegedly used to send death threats to the late Msando.

Phone data

Kiprotich was held for 18 days after his phone data profiles made police interested in linking him with the murder.

Chris Msando murder probe: Nairobi court declines to release KenGen employee linked to death threats

A 17-year-old girl who was earlier arrested in Migori in connection with the probe has also been released from police custody back to school, state counsel Catherine Mwaniki told the court.

She said no other suspect is in custody but investigations are still ongoing.

Kiprotich’s case file has been referred back to Kiambu law courts for a mention on October 2 2017 for “further directions” but meanwhile the police have been directed to release him from custody in light of the new developments.

Mwaniki wanted an order requiring Kiprotich to report to the homicide section, a request she was told to place before the Kiambu court which first issued the detention order.

Lawyers representing Kiprotich want to challenge the detention order on grounds that it was illegal and should not have been issued in the first place.