The family of a 9-year-old girl believed to have been shot dead by a  police officer deployed to quell a demo in Mathare, Nairobi, during the 2017 General elections may have to wait longer for justice after an inquest into her death was adjourned for a second time.

Stephenie Moraa, a class 4 pupil was shot in the chest as she played with mates within the estate.

The officer who shot the child is yet to be identified.

IPOA has been investigating the case and wants the police commanders who were in charge of operations held accountable for negligence as they failed to coordinate their troops-making it difficult to identify the culprit(s).

Contested re-election

The child was a victim of tragic scenes that were witnessed across the country following President Uhuru Kenyatta’s contested re-election.

Eye witnesses who were interviewed by the media then, said police were firing indiscriminately  as they engaged with NASA supporters in day-long running battles.

A  six-month-old infant also succumbed in Kisumu after police bludgeoned her to death.

A similar inquest which began in February 2018 has heard Samantha Pendo suffered severe head injuries.

A post-mortem  revealed that  Baby Pendo, suffered an open cracked scalp with deep head injuries in the attack.

According to Government Consultant Pathologist Dickson Mchana, the baby died due internal bleeding.

Pressing judicial matters

When the late Moraa’s came up for hearing two weeks ago the trial court adjourned to attend to other more pressing judicial matters.

Proceedings had been re-scheduled for April 27 2018 but when the file was called up the trial magistrate Francis Andayi said he  would be unable to conduct the hearing.

There were, however, three witnesses in court.

“I am unable to hear you today as I am engaged elsewhere,” Andayi said referring to an official engagement at the Supreme Court.

Ferried to  morgues

The hearing was  then shelved to May 4 2018.

Mathare is  Opposition leader Raila Odinga’s stronghold, whose party  rejected the results of Uhuru’s win.

Police reportedly killed hundreds of citizens in a crackdown on protests as anger at the re-election of President Uhuru Kenyatta erupted in Kisumu and slums surrounding the capital city.

The bodies of young men shot dead overnight in Nairobi’s Mathare slum and Kisumu were ferried to  morgues in body-bags.

Security authorities have since maintained that only looters were shot in the operation.